Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please sign in or Sign Up Now!

Dated:
Mar 17th, 2011
By:
Martin Fournier Giguère
Game:
NLHE
Stake:
Mid Stakes
Teaching Method:
Session Video 1 - 2 Table
Language:
English
Type:
Heads Up
7285 Views
17 Comments
8.4310
(14 Ratings) 8.43

Giggy plays in a tough HU match!

More From Martin Fournier Giguère  Get RSS Feed For Martin  Fournier Giguère's Videos

Comments

  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    17 Mar 2011 at 8:11am
    Discussion for Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent.
  • Jedisoturi Jedisoturi Poker Newbie
    2 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    17 Mar 2011 at 1:31pm
    At 13mins in you 3bet small with your top pair on K98r and you say you will have great equity when you get the money in and also you don't like calling. Maybe I have played only passive players but it seems that you are drawing very thin when you get 200bb stacks in. Could you also tell why calling is bad? Wouldn't you be equally as lost when villain calls your 3bet?
  • frecknol frecknol Poker Newbie
    7 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    17 Mar 2011 at 4:08pm
    hy giggy. i wanna be your next opponent in a Hu vid. Pls write back if youre interested!!
  • MadBoy MadBoy Poker Trainee
    81 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    19 Mar 2011 at 9:27pm

    Rly rly cool stuff with much interesting and partly sick postflop-situations – horny^^

    Rly one of the best vid I have seen since prett< long on any coachingsite - thanks a lot:)

    And yeah, a shorty review-bonus-vid would be very nice^^

    Some questions:

    Min. 10 – k9o:

    Imo on the river your overall range is stronger than Villain`s range (you have many Jx and some BDFlushes in your range and also few boatcombos, he would have 2ndbarelled often the mentioned hands on the turn).

    I guess that your SD-Value is here anyways to strong to turn it into a bluff by betting the river?

    But what is about a C/R if he should bet?  Furthermore what would be the best hand which you would vs. him bluff on the river by betting the river? What is the worst C/Callhand for you in this spot vs . a half PS-Bet and vs. a 2/3+PS-Bet?

    Min. 17.30 – Q3s:
    I agree here with checking the flop for your reasoning and also b/c this flop hits a 3betcallingrange well, so I would also have to C/F a lot…

    But once he stabs so weak, I can see merits in C/in the flop.

    But aren`t you scared that you overplay then your hand by C/Ring? What would you do vs. a jam/Flop3bet?

    I know that C/Calling will generate tough spots later and also somewhat guessinggame, but imo C/Ring overreps here your hand somewhat.

    Min. 22 – A6s:
    I personally would have 2ndbarelled here bigger like I also would do with my bluffs.

    Any special reason for having bet here pretty smallish (around 60% of Potsize)?

    Min. 26.30 – AJo:

    Actually on the flop you are here pretty top of your range (AA,KK,AQ you would 3bet pre).

    What about C/Ring the flop?

    Min. 34 – T8o:
    Cool thoughts on this one^^ - what you actually his range is here on the river?

    General question:
    I am totally unsure what range you should 3bet OOP being deep?
    Many ppl say for example you want to 3bet Broadways OOP, hence you wanna deep 3bet OOP depolar. b/c Villain will call more pre and hence with a wider range -> you can 3bet pre thinner for value vs. callingranges…

    Another ppl are saying that offsuit Broadways are deepstacked OOP no fun, and hence you should be more attempted to pas. Defend and play OOP a single rasied pot?

    What do you think on this? What hands you like to 3bet OOP deep?

  • Juan_C Juan_C Poker Newbie
    10 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    20 Mar 2011 at 11:13pm
    I have a question about the turn play on a hand on the deep table, around 47:00 min, on the BU you raise with 53s, (clubs), you were about 300bb deep, the flop comes Jc54c, and get ch-r, you call, the turn is 2c, giving you a flush, When this happen, I was thinking that this was very similar to a hand you play against Niman on your "Big pots big stacks" video, there you were on the BB with AK and just call a 3b from Niman (SB), on the turn the board was QdJd3-T , the flop went bet, call, turn SB bets, and you raised and mentioned that you lose a lot of value on the river if you just called. Back to this video, when BB bet on the turn, I though "Giggy is going to raise because he will lose a lot of value if he doesn't, just like that hand against Niman" but you didn't and even said "that raising would be beyond bad as it would make him give up most of his bluffs" So I guess I didn't undertood this concept the first time. Could you elaborate a little bit on it, and compare it to that hand against Niman? Is it different because: Niman's range is very strong when he bets the turn and on this one, on the turn BB range is polarized? On the hand against Niman you hold the nuts but not on this one? If you raise, on the hand vs Niman, your range is polarized, but on this one you look very strong? By this one I mean the hand from this video, 5c3c on a Jc54c-2c board. Thanks, Juan
  • Gswaggg Gswaggg Poker Newbie
    41 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    21 Mar 2011 at 10:36pm
    Great HU video Giggy
  • rhalala rhalala Poker Newbie
    18 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    22 Mar 2011 at 5:43am
    nice vid, reviewing hand history with him can be really interesating thankyou
  • allwind allwind Poker Newbie
    24 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    22 Mar 2011 at 3:08pm
    Timing bank tip. Don´t know if you are timing out because you are doing a video. Table Ninja can take care of the timer for you. Both automatic clicking time bank, and clicking "I am back". Also you avoid any eventual tells from clicking time bank. Great video.
  • ElTorreroRubio ElTorreroRubio Poker Newbie
    95 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    22 Mar 2011 at 6:48pm
    Really enjoyed the vid. Please keep doing more HU in the future. This one and the takechip v IWinFlips you did a while back are amongst he best videos on the site. Thanks you.
  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Re: Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    28 Mar 2011 at 7:38pm

    Jedisoturi wrote:

    At 13mins in you 3bet small with your top pair on K98r and you say you will have great equity when you get the money in and also you don't like calling. Maybe I have played only passive players but it seems that you are drawing very thin when you get 200bb stacks in. Could you also tell why calling is bad? Wouldn't you be equally as lost when villain calls your 3bet?

    Well I've probably expressed myself a bit poorly regarding that hand... I really don't feel like I'm drawing thin when getting the stacks in, and the main reason is that I know he likes to use position and stack deepness, knowing I'm 3-betting pretty wide, to raise a lot of flops in 3-bet pots and basically take it down every time I have air.

    And my way of adapting to that is going to be a lot of clicking it back as a bluff. And he knows this. So I can't only do it as a bluff, I have to use value hands that I want to get in as well. Here, KQ definitely feels like the nuts, as knowing him he could very well be raising with KJ or KT here, trying to make me cib bluff or play aggressively a straight draw out of position against what I would see as a pretty weak range.

    Calling is definitely not bad, but the problem I have with calling is that I feel like he's going to give up most of his bluffs on the turn given the nature of the board. I also feel like he's raising a lot with naked gutshots on the flop, and will give up pretty much everytime unless he hits, so I'm kind of stuck giving him 2 free cards but still having to go broke on turn or river because he could still be valueing worse. 

    This is a lot less tricky when he calls my 3bet, as the stack/pot ratio i a lot smaller and I can just get it in very easily. So this is a mix of value/balance and trying to play the hand fast and aggressive out of position so that he can't use his position as much as he would like to.

    But yeah, I wouldn't advocate that against someone who's never bluffraising these flops, and this is going to be the case for most "passive" opponents as you describe them.

  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Re: Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    28 Mar 2011 at 7:38pm

    frecknol wrote:

    hy giggy. i wanna be your next opponent in a Hu vid. Pls write back if youre interested!!

    I'll keep your name in note if that comes up !

  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Re: Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    28 Mar 2011 at 8:06pm

    MadBoy wrote:

    Rly rly cool stuff with much interesting and partly sick postflop-situations – horny^^

    Rly one of the best vid I have seen since prett< long on any coachingsite - thanks a lot:)

    And yeah, a shorty review-bonus-vid would be very nice^^

    Some questions:

    Min. 10 – k9o:

    Imo on the river your overall range is stronger than Villain`s range (you have many Jx and some BDFlushes in your range and also few boatcombos, he would have 2ndbarelled often the mentioned hands on the turn).

    I guess that your SD-Value is here anyways to strong to turn it into a bluff by betting the river?

    But what is about a C/R if he should bet?  Furthermore what would be the best hand which you would vs. him bluff on the river by betting the river? What is the worst C/Callhand for you in this spot vs . a half PS-Bet and vs. a 2/3+PS-Bet?

    Min. 17.30 – Q3s:
    I agree here with checking the flop for your reasoning and also b/c this flop hits a 3betcallingrange well, so I would also have to C/F a lot…

    But once he stabs so weak, I can see merits in C/in the flop.

    But aren`t you scared that you overplay then your hand by C/Ring? What would you do vs. a jam/Flop3bet?

    I know that C/Calling will generate tough spots later and also somewhat guessinggame, but imo C/Ring overreps here your hand somewhat.

    Min. 22 – A6s:
    I personally would have 2ndbarelled here bigger like I also would do with my bluffs.

    Any special reason for having bet here pretty smallish (around 60% of Potsize)?

    Min. 26.30 – AJo:

    Actually on the flop you are here pretty top of your range (AA,KK,AQ you would 3bet pre).

    What about C/Ring the flop?

    Min. 34 – T8o:
    Cool thoughts on this one^^ - what you actually his range is here on the river?

    General question:
    I am totally unsure what range you should 3bet OOP being deep?
    Many ppl say for example you want to 3bet Broadways OOP, hence you wanna deep 3bet OOP depolar. b/c Villain will call more pre and hence with a wider range -> you can 3bet pre thinner for value vs. callingranges…

    Another ppl are saying that offsuit Broadways are deepstacked OOP no fun, and hence you should be more attempted to pas. Defend and play OOP a single rasied pot?

    What do you think on this? What hands you like to 3bet OOP deep?

    Min. 10 :

    I probably should have led anyways, as he can't even call with Qx when I lead that river and he very rarely has a straight or better, almost never. I thought I had enough SD, but thinking back on it he's going to checkback Qx often enough on the turn for a river bluff to be the optimal play.

    A check/raise would obviously be pretty good with all our possible boat combos and the fact that he has non in his range. You just don't want to overdo it against someone who's a good hand reader or they'll start bet-calling you with a wider range. I guess my best bluffing hand should be 9x. And my worst check/calling hand is probably Jx, I feel like he's basically almost never going to bluff given how little he represents.

    Min. 17 :

    I don't think it's over repping my hand at all, mainly because I will have a lot of pure air in my range with that line, especially when he bets so small. I could decide to check-raise a gutshot after his bet or anything like that, so from that point on if he thinks I have no pairs hands often enough I will be getting enough value from my Q3 to make a value line profitable. It would be over repping against some opponents - those who are basically never going broke light - but here I'm really confident that he's going to view my hand range as polarised enough so that he calls down with worse.

    Min. 22 : 

    This is my standard sizing for those situations, and I think it works well here because he could sometimes try a bluff-raise with the intention of folding to a shove... I definitely want to leave him just enough room for that. 

    I also like the stack/pot ratio I'll be left with on the river, as a slight overshove allows me to bluff that situation pretty often against what is mostly a weakish range for him, leaving him in an horrible guessing spot.

    And I also don't want to bet too big so that I kind of commit myself but I'm not sure if I do when he shoves... Here I'm pretty clearly not committed, but I've sized in a way that he can't ever shove anyways so I don't really have to bet-fold or bet-call. I'd much rather have the bet-shove option available for the rare occurances where he'll decide to try a bluff.

    Min. 26 :

    I don't really like it... I have so few monsters in my range that he could very well use his position and take a very aggressive line and put me to a decision for all my chips on which I will be absolutely fucked. He's mostly going to value himself with weaker Ax anyways, and I gain value from bluffs by check-calling too.

    Check-raising just because I have the top of my range is actually pretty absurd, as I do want to utilize that hand to protect my check-calling range so that he can't bluff me every time I check call with Kx or a lower Ax. Especially with these stack sizes and that board.

    Min. 34 : 

    I think he's going to have a lot of combo draws and some Qx or overpairs as well. But I could be wrong, as this kind of read is extremely player dependant and we haven't played those situations pretty much ever.

     

    General question :

    Depends on how frequently my opponent 4-bets me, but in general I do like suited broadways and suited Ax, as flush draws tend to play really well in 3-bet pots. And I agree that I'd mostly like to flat offsuit broadways, unless my opponent defends way too much and I feel like I'll get a lot of value out of dominated hands when I flop top pairs.

    Also mid-low suited connectors can play pretty well. And low pocket pairs as well, with which you can call a 4bet if his sizing is really small or 5bet shove if his sizing is really big.

  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Re: Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    28 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm

    Juan_C wrote:

    I have a question about the turn play on a hand on the deep table, around 47:00 min, on the BU you raise with 53s, (clubs), you were about 300bb deep, the flop comes Jc54c, and get ch-r, you call, the turn is 2c, giving you a flush, When this happen, I was thinking that this was very similar to a hand you play against Niman on your "Big pots big stacks" video, there you were on the BB with AK and just call a 3b from Niman (SB), on the turn the board was QdJd3-T , the flop went bet, call, turn SB bets, and you raised and mentioned that you lose a lot of value on the river if you just called. Back to this video, when BB bet on the turn, I though "Giggy is going to raise because he will lose a lot of value if he doesn't, just like that hand against Niman" but you didn't and even said "that raising would be beyond bad as it would make him give up most of his bluffs" So I guess I didn't undertood this concept the first time. Could you elaborate a little bit on it, and compare it to that hand against Niman? Is it different because: Niman's range is very strong when he bets the turn and on this one, on the turn BB range is polarized? On the hand against Niman you hold the nuts but not on this one? If you raise, on the hand vs Niman, your range is polarized, but on this one you look very strong? By this one I mean the hand from this video, 5c3c on a Jc54c-2c board. Thanks, Juan

    Yeah well the first difference is my opponent. As i said in the hand against Niman, I feel like Niman is not as aggressive as Blinchik on the river, so I'm a bit less likely to get value out of his bluffs.

    Also, in the hand against Niman, the whole point is that I thought he would think I would 4-bet AK pretty much always preflop, so he would never think I had the nuts there and wouldn't think I'd be valueing worse either, leaving me with bluffs. This is not the case here, I could have any sort of nuts combo.

    Also I don't have the nuts against Blinchik, and we're deep as fuck, and I feel like if we go broke I'm going to be toasted. When I raise this turn I pretty much have a really strong flush or a bluff, and I don't feel like he's going to test if it's a bluff too often being oop 300bb deep so he's only going broke with really strong flushes himself.

    So all in all there's basically a world of difference between the 2 hands... the opponent, the representation of our hand, the fact that we don't have the nuts, etc. It's all those little details that you want to rightfully take into account when you play a hand, don't fall in the trap of only seeing the bigger picture and trying to find magic secrets. Analyze, think, ask questions to yourself.

  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Re: Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    28 Mar 2011 at 8:19pm

    allwind wrote:

    Timing bank tip. Don´t know if you are timing out because you are doing a video. Table Ninja can take care of the timer for you. Both automatic clicking time bank, and clicking "I am back". Also you avoid any eventual tells from clicking time bank. Great video.

    Thanks for the tip, but I don't know if such a script exists for Mac? I've searched one but didn't find anything.Would probably save me a bunch of monies.

  • rhcp23 rhcp23 Poker Newbie
    3 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    3 May 2011 at 4:50pm
    about 3beting small PP deep i must agree with jungleman that they are better to just flat cause u dont have the reason to play them aggressively cause u re never drawing to anything..
  • MadBoy MadBoy Poker Trainee
    81 Posts
    Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    4 May 2011 at 9:42pm

    @giggy: Thank you very much for the answers, rly some great stuff inside:)

  • MartinGiggy MartinGiggy Bluefire Pro Poker Pro
    539 Posts
    Re: Re: Giggy's Heads Up Against A Tough Opponent
    6 May 2011 at 4:13pm

    rhcp23 wrote:

    about 3beting small PP deep i must agree with jungleman that they are better to just flat cause u dont have the reason to play them aggressively cause u re never drawing to anything..

    Yeah I have to agree that this is a good way of seeing it, but I still think it could be the best play against a certain type of opponent. Although I agree that this type of player is usually going to be a bit weaker than your usual real tough opponent.

    Some guys will just rarely take small stabs in 3 bet pots... they either pretty much never call 1-street (usually having the intention of calling you down at least twice when they call the flop) or they go for big bluffs/going broke every time they raise the flop in position.

    Against this type of player, the small pair is pretty much going to play perfectly just because you can take a lot of profitable c-bets, then give up having no redraw and an opponent who calls down a lot. And every time you flop really big (which is more often than with basically any other "bluffing" hands), you can hope that this is the time your opponent either calls you down or tries his once in a while big bluff.

     

    It's a pretty specific type of situation obviously, but still the two plays are probably close in EV even against more standard opponents. If jungleman said so though... I'll have no choice but give him the benefit of the doubt, the guy is obviously much better than me at HUNL.

You must be logged in to post comments. Take a minute to sign up if you don't yet have an account.